Outreach To The Region
While working to address energy impact funding and area infrastructure needs, one thing that became evident was the need to educate ourselves and our regional partners about the true impact of the Permian Basin both for our state and the nation.
This year MOTRAN began working to accomplish that goal through formation of the Permian Basin Coalition. During the past year, the organization has met three times, bringing together city, county, chamber, economic development, and industry officials to discuss problems and find solutions for the rapid growth that has occurred throughout the region.
Here are some interesting facts that help demonstrate the significance of the Permian Basin:
- Accounts for over 60% of Texas Crude Oil Production
- Makes up 16% of US Crude Production
- Accounts for 17% of Texas and US Gas Production
- Home to Over 50% of Active Rigs in Texas and 25% of Active Rigs in the US
- Generated 42% of all Texas Severance Taxes over the last 2 Years
- Home to 65% of Texas Wind Power Capacity
In addition, early in the year, MOTRAN worked to assist State Representative Drew Darby from San Angelo, who formed the Texas House Energy Caucus, a group of over 40 legislative members with the goal of providing members with a better background and information related to energy issues being considered by the Texas Legislature.